Equipping rural students with IT & English skills
Situated North-East of the former capital of Vietnam, the city of Hue, is Phu Xuan District. Phu Xuan is recognised by the provincial government as one of the poorer districts in the region. Predominantly an agricultural district, it houses many so called “boat people”, poor residents who live on fishing boats, with many now living in government built homes along the coast. With many poor students attending the commune secondary school, the project aims to equip the school and students with skills & infrastructure to support the on-going development of the youth of Phu Xuan
Traditional fishing boats, some still used as homes
The lack of working computers & poor English competency were identified as needs of the school, hence Actxplorer in collaboration with the Singapore Management University as well as Hue University, sought to meet these needs by providing 15 laptop computers as well as develop relevant lessons in IT and English.
This yearly project aims to develop a successful blueprint for other educational projects in the future.
Vietnamese students playing word games in class
Areas of work:
- English language education for children & youths
- Improvement in student to computer ratio
- IT education for children & youths; coding, Microsoft suite
- Educating rural Vietnamese children & youths on foreign cultures
Partners involved in this project apart from MBB:
- Actxplorer is the liaison between collaborating partners. Facilitates program planning and execution.
- Singapore Management University students of Business & Information Systems faculties developed & executed respective lesson plans over the course of 12 days. Students over the course of 12 days were also on hand to amend and adjust the curriculum to suit the learning abilities of the classes.
- Hue University: Department of Social Work aided in the program planning & execution, as well as needs assessment. Hue University students also volunteered as Vietnamese-English translators over the project duration.
- Phu Xuan Secondary School teachers and principal worked together with the students of SMU to ensure a smooth project.
This is an ongoing project